GasNaturally Factsheet on Gaseous Solutions for Residential Heating
Renewable and low-carbon gases provide cost-efficient and reliable heating solutions in many building areas where electric heat pumps are not fit-for-purpose and technically inefficient.
To transition towards climate-neutral residential heating in Europe by 2050, we recommend a robust policy framework that:
- Accelerates and supports the replacement of inefficient heating equipment, installed in existing EU buildings.
- Enables and favours the rollout of low-carbon and renewable gases such as biomethane, synthetic methane, hydrogen and bioLPG in the heating sector.
- Makes good use of the synergies between energy vectors to optimise systems and cost efficiency.
- Enables and promotes the digitalisation of heating systems.
- Incentivises building insulation and takes a comprehensive approach and focus on the cost-effective modernisation of heating and cooling systems.